2010 Resolutions
1. What are the non-essential things that clutter your days and steal your time?
Why is it that I feel like I still have too much stuff? Too many toys, clothes, nick-knacks, unnecessary things that clutter our home and our minds. My goal every year is to Simplify.
I think as soon as Lance and I decide that we are 100% sure that we do not want to have any more children, over half of the stuff in our basement can be given away...but we are not both on the same page yet.
Even though, I said over and over again that I was done after my first two. The Parker situation has really changed everything. I think ending on that kind of note is sad and depressing. We just may have to have another baby to get through this last experience…don’t tell Lance I said so. Not even thinking about it until I am done with school. Then we will see. What was the question again?
1. What are the non-essential things that clutter your days and steal your time?
Why is it that I feel like I still have too much stuff? Too many toys, clothes, nick-knacks, unnecessary things that clutter our home and our minds. My goal every year is to Simplify.
I think as soon as Lance and I decide that we are 100% sure that we do not want to have any more children, over half of the stuff in our basement can be given away...but we are not both on the same page yet.
Even though, I said over and over again that I was done after my first two. The Parker situation has really changed everything. I think ending on that kind of note is sad and depressing. We just may have to have another baby to get through this last experience…don’t tell Lance I said so. Not even thinking about it until I am done with school. Then we will see. What was the question again?
2. Does the time I spend ____ enlarge or restrict my capacity to LIVE, LOVE, and SERVE in meaningful ways?
Watching TV in the evenings can restrict my capacity to live, love and serve. I know it can and why do I let it. We have DVR, so really there is no excuse for me to let any television show get in the way of living, loving and serving others. That’s just dumb right.
Facebook – yes since the whole bedrest thing I have become addicted to facebook. I need to remember that it can be used as a tool. A tool used to stay in touch with long lost friends, keep family updated from far away (Hi, Dad) and share the gospel of Jesus Christ. Hours on end are just not necessary.
We need to spend more time doing Family Home Evening with the girls, having the missionaries over for dinner, reading the scriptures and praying together.
3. What are the unfinished or un-started things that could add vigor, meaning and joy to your life?
Continue working towards finishing my MBA at Xavier University. I was able to complete a whole semester, but still have a year and a half to go. I know we are here on this earth to learn. I definitely have the love of learning.
This summer I want to do some work in the backyard. I missed out on last summer because of being on bedrest. I would really like to do some projects in the yard with the girls. I have fond memories of working in the yard with both of my parents; I want the girls to have the same experience. I wish my girls to ultimately have the same work ethic that my parents and grandparents have instilled in me. You can be instantly gratified from doing work in the yard and I feel that it is the best kind of exercise as an added bonus.
Continue working towards finishing my MBA at Xavier University. I was able to complete a whole semester, but still have a year and a half to go. I know we are here on this earth to learn. I definitely have the love of learning.
This summer I want to do some work in the backyard. I missed out on last summer because of being on bedrest. I would really like to do some projects in the yard with the girls. I have fond memories of working in the yard with both of my parents; I want the girls to have the same experience. I wish my girls to ultimately have the same work ethic that my parents and grandparents have instilled in me. You can be instantly gratified from doing work in the yard and I feel that it is the best kind of exercise as an added bonus.
4. What are the habits you may have developed that do NOT serve a useful purpose?
Nagging. Yes I am like every other women when it comes to nagging my poor husband. I am goal oriented and very driven…doesn’t mean my husband is. He really hates the Honey Do Lists.
So, that about sums it up for goals for 2010. Bottom line…2009 was an incredibly challenging year for our family. I have said that, because of my son Parker I lost a whole year of my life. First, with being on bed rest and then the several months he was in the hospital. Really, it’s because of Parker that I didn't lose a year, but gained a lifetime. I will forever be grateful for the redirection and hit over the head of the importance of having a Christ centered life.
Thanks Erin for the four questions above. They are the perfect questions to ask ourselves when created our New Years Resolutions. Love you!
hey good idea. those questions are perfect :)
ReplyDeleteWe definitely need to keep motivating each other to get rid of clutter. P. S. don't ask me if I wont your junk.:)
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your insights. You know you have our support.
ReplyDeleteWow, I'm feeling like a mirror is staring at me! Right down to the facebook and lifetime gained!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you have a plan... and when I read about you working in the yard with the girls, it made me think of our "trees". Josh and I planted two trees in our backyard. One for Gracie and one for Oliver. As they bloom in the summer it somehow helps me think that my kids are growing and makes me think of "life". That might be a fun thing to do with your girls... to remember Parker :) My two plum trees have brought me a lot of peace :) Love ya
ReplyDelete