My intention is not to make anyone cry or get upset when reading my blog. I also do not want to offend anyone by my bluntness. If I do, I am sorry. We knew that there were going to be lots of bumps and potholes in the road during Parker's NICU journey.
You know you think you are prepared for the ups and downs and twists and turns, but you don't expect the ride to be so drastic. Every day/hour Parker's status can change from one extreme to another.
Parker is doing well again today. He is responding beautifully to the antibiotics. He is back to his normal self. He is still just on the nasal cannula and doing well with it. When we had the consult today at 11:00 with Vivek he was very optimistic for a full recovery from the meningitis. We caught it early enough that it may not cause any long term damage. To put things in perspective, Parker is still doing very well for a 26 weeker. The fact that he went the first 10 days without any major issues is remarkable. Now we need to just get this infection under control and move on. The next four weeks are still critical for Parker. They are concerned about something called Necrotizing Enterocditis. Right now he shows no signs so I am not going to give you any more details at this time.
Today they are going to proceed with another head ultrasound as a precautionary measure to ensure there is no swelling. The bacteria came back as E coli, so they are tweaking his treatment from three antibiotics down to two. E. coli is the name of a bacterium that lives in our digestive tracts. This is an issue with Parker, because he does not have an adequate immune system to regulate his own bacteria.
Seeing Parker today was definitely reassuring. He looked so much better. He was opening his eyes and moving around. I could tell he was feeling much better.
SO SO SO happy to hear the good news !!
ReplyDeleteHang in there Lindsey! We will be praying for little Parker!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the updates. It kills me when I'm not at work. I thought about him all day today. You guys are doing well with everything. It is the best you can do. I will continue to pray... Crystal
ReplyDeleteLindsey, please don't worry about our concerns, fear, possible upsets -- your friends are okay. We are here for you! I pass along your progress reports to Matt and we are both full of hope. Life can be scary. It is good to have people around during those rough patches. You have been there for so many. We love you!
ReplyDeleteIt's great to hear that news! We're praying for you guys!
ReplyDeleteI am glad to hear that you had another small victory today. As we talked on the phone, each day will be a battle for the next. Some days you lose, some days you win. It is a battle of day to day events. There are a lot of people with a lot of faith praying for Parker. The Lord will hear those prayers. We do what we can with the knowledge we have and turn the future over to the Lord. I heard last night that the character of those making the decisions determine the future. I believe it will be the faith and character of those hoping and praying for Parker will determine his. Love you Dad
ReplyDeleteHi Lindsey, I was happy to hear the better news today. And, please don't worry about offending anyone - I love that you are so honest and blunt - it's a blessing that you share so much with us. My prayers are still holding with you, Parker, Lance, the girls and all of your family. I loved to hear about Parker opening his eyes and moving around.
ReplyDeleteKevin and I are keeping you guys all, especially little Parker, in our prayers. Keep being the wonderful mom you are and keep your chin up. So glad you are doing this blog, it saves me having to call Lance ever day or so for an update!
ReplyDeleteJust know we are thinking about you and Parker every day.
Lindsey!
ReplyDeleteIt is always good to hear from you no matter what! Parker sounds stong in his little ways with so much love and tenderness to help him grow and develop. Believe me, you have passed milestones with very normal testing procedures each day. I am so glad Parker is where he is! Our family has your family in our prayers 2 times a day! Love-Pam Church