Wednesday, October 21, 2009

One big disappointment

Wow, today is almost over. Lindsey is reading a book to the girls titled What's Your Mood? It's a children's book so my mood is probably not in it. The procedure today was canceled again. Another day off work and we're no closer to a final resolution. We were told that the room was double booked 10 minutes before the test was supposed to start. This really didn't bother us that much it just added to today's frustration.

Sorry if I bounce around a little bit but I'm not in the mood for editing tonight. We got a new attending physician today. Dr. South had told me Dr. Crossman would be starting today so I at least knew the attendings name. During rounds he came to the bedside and didn't introduce himself. He just stood in the corner and talked to a dictation device or tape recorder completely removed from Parker's presentation. At least he could have looked interested or payed a little attention. No at least he could have introduced himself, maybe I'm expecting too much. Some Dr's can't be bothered with trivial things like communicating with the parents. I definitely get aggravated at times but usually get over things quickly, not happening. Lindsey didn't seem to be too concerned with his behavior at this point but her opinion changed this afternoon.

The results of the yesterday's tests. CT of the chest looked OK. The MRI results are abnormal but nobody could tell us what that meant. Neurology stopped by and said the little bit of the brain they saw looked abnormal possibly from lack of oxygen. Also there is a large collection of fluid the length of the spinal column. C2 to C4 looks abnormal also where the nerve roots/bundle leave the spinal cord. This may not be the cause of the nerve malfunction but it is suspicious. The neurology fellow was going to get with the attending neurologist and get back with us. Never happened.

I can't even go into all the conversations today with the nurse, nurse practitioner or Dr Ward Rice. They we're all great today. Someone however must have mentioned that we wanted to get all the Dr's together to discuss where we are and what each piece meant. Enter Dr Crossman, what a fitting name cross man. Finally he wanted to introduce himself. Not only introduce himself but lecture us on his job as the attending. I'm not saying we're the most medically knowledgeable parents but we have a better understanding than the average. We briefly talked about what neuro had to say and I asked if we would be calling in a neurosurgeon if neuro suggested it. He said, "we don't call anyone, I make all the calls here", nice you spiteful power hungry contemptible man who likes his authority. I will apologize if he turns out to be ok.

I was on my best behavior because I feel like we're stuck with this guy at least until surgery. I was going to let him know what my job is as Parker's father. We would have had quite the one sided conversation. Additionally, I would have asked him to review Children's Hospital family centered care philosophy and the eight core concepts. I think I am going to print them out and keep them in my wallet, just in case.

The attending said if the parents talk to too many of the Dr's things get chaotic. I'm not trying to cause chaos but if I would have insisted on the blood work after the first infection instead of just asking multiple times I would not be writing this now.

The ML and B is scheduled for tomorrow at 2:57 pm. I'll be there in the afternoon, but I'm going to skip rounds. I feel like I can only miss so much work. I was trying to save some vacation for when he got home. It will be the first time I've missed rounds at Children's and only probably the 2nd or 3rd time in the last 6 weeks. I try to time them perfectly and run over and back from work quickly. Lindsey and my mom will be there for rounds. Just me for the procedure.

Samantha's fourth birthday is tomorrow. She wants a Nintendo DS thanks to cousins Emily and Eddie. Lindsey and I think she needs to be a little older for that...so roller skates instead.

Think positive. Tomorrow is going to be a great day.

5 comments:

  1. Lance ~ I am SO glad you are being so "vocal" about all your concerns. You have every right to question the Dr's at times. I swear, some Dr's should be in a lab doing research where they don't have to deal with actual patients. They have very little people skills. And then you find some who are just wonderful. Hopefully this guy just made a horrible first impression and things will get better. But you are Parkers' voice. Don't ever hesitate to tell them how you feel. And while he IS the Dr... you are the parent. You and Lindsey make the calls !!

    Love to you guys
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there guys. I can't imagine the emotional journey your family has been on. Keep supporting each other and you WILL get through. And, yes, tomorrow is another beautiful day :) - Love, Marie, Olivia, Meredith, Austin and Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your role as the father will always trump anyone elses job description. I'm sorry you had such a hard day. You handled the situation with great restraint and after such a long period of stress -- you are a saint. Tomorrow will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give 'em hell, Lance!!! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow you are so funny! how frustrating. working with dr.s like that is the worst

    ReplyDelete